October 28, 2011
Today is the second anniversary of Vickie’s passing. So much is happened in two years that I can barely comprehend the fullness of it. I see Vickie’s hand, and of course the hand of God, in everything that has transpired since her death.
In the past two years, I have sold my house, retired from my career, and given away most of my possessions. I have celebrated the birth of another grandson and my 60th birthday. I have helped coach a little league team and a men’s spiritual retreat. I have been called to go back to school and prepare for a new vocation. With the support of my family, my community at St. Jude’s in Allen and my community at The Brothers and Sisters of Charity, I have moved to Massachusetts to prepare to serve God’s people as a priest. Two years.
I spent much time today reflecting on my marriage to Vickie, and how blessed I was to have spent nearly 20 years together. We had some trials, but many more joys. Now it might seem strange that one’s marriage experience would bring them to the Priesthood, but it was experiencing God’s love in that sacrament that brought me closer to Him. In the past couple of days, I have spent a lot of time visiting with friends and family, both on the phone and in person. Tonight, close friends from St. Jude’s called from the columbarium where Vickie’s ashes are interred and we prayed a Rosary together over the phone. And the love continues. I am so blessed to have the support of many of you to lift me through the trials.
Here are just a few other notes to let you know what is going on. I will wrap up mid-term exams on Monday, then will start looking forward to Thanksgiving, when I can spend a few days at home catching up with everyone. We had our first snow of the season here last night and another storm is due this weekend. Tonight is game 7 of the World Series. I am the cheering section for the Rangers, while the Cardinals are being cheered on by one of my classmates, Brother Aiden, a Benedictine Monk from St. Louis. Its hard to get too riled up when you are cheering against a Monk!!! He is such a nice guy, but tonight he is going down J. Go Rangers.
Thanks for your continued prayers.
In Christ,
Russ
No comments:
Post a Comment