Sunday, September 4, 2011

First Week at Seminary

My first week at Blessed John XXIII National Seminary has been an adventure.  We spent the first five days in orientation, getting to know the routines, schedules, house rules and what amenities are available in the immediate area.  We also spent time getting to know each other.  There are fifteen men in my class from all over the country.  They are from all walks of life, including chemists, journalists, politicians, retired military and several with business backgrounds.  Several are widowers like myself.  The seminary newsletter with more detailed biographies will be published in the next few weeks.  I will provide a link to that when it is available. 
My studies for this semester include Introduction to Philosophy, Old Testament, Patristic Theology, Church History, Spiritual Formation and Speech.  I was worried about the reading load for these classes, but I am finding that the subjects are really interesting and I am already learning much about the roots of my faith, that I had largely taken for granted until now. 
The prayer life here is also enriching.  Most mornings, we pray Morning Prayer (Liturgy of the Hours) together as a community.  Evening Prayer is prayed together three days per week, and on our own or in small groups the other days.  Prayers for the other Hours are usually prayed on our own.  Of course, there is Mass every day, either in conjunction with Morning Prayer or at Noon.  Sunday Mass is held at 9:30 a.m. and members of the local community often join us.  The chapel is just down the hall from my room.  There is a nice pipe organ there and the sound of 80 or more male voices singing in unison is awesome. 
The food here is great!  That might not be a good thing for me.  Home-made apple crisp and strawberry shortcake sometimes feel like a contradiction to “Lead us not into temptation.”  I am making an effort to exercise, and so far, I have been walking about five miles per day on the country roads around the seminary.  This is a beautiful place to walk or bike.  I will have to figure out another regimen when the snow comes. 
My room is about 10 x 12 feet.  It has a built-in desk with shelves and a dresser, a small closet and storage under the bed.  I have a glider-rocker with footstool, some shelves and a dorm fridge.  I thought this arrangement would be a bit claustrophobic, but strangely enough, the size of the room seems quite comfortable.  It is actually nice not to have so many distractions which might keep me from my studies.  I do have pictures and a few keepsakes from home and as a reminder of where I am from, there is a Texas flag. 

That is about it for this writing, but I will try to keep you posted on a regular basis.  Many of you have had a significant impact on my decision to pursue this vocation and I know that you are praying for me.  Please know that I pray for you daily.
Your brother in Christ,
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment