Sunday, September 18, 2011

Late Arrival at the Vineyard

Some of you have reminded me that it is time for a seminary update, so here goes.  Life here is good.  It is simple, yet very demanding at the same time.  It is simple in that follow a fairly regimented schedule which includes morning prayer, class, Mass, study time and evening prayer.  Of course meals are interspersed at the appropriate times.  It is demanding in that we get plenty of homework, including reading, papers, exams, presentations, etc.  It is easy to get wrapped up in the academic portion of the formation program, since that seems the most visible right now, but there are four pillars of priestly formation:  Human, Spiritual, Pastoral, and Academic.  The important thing is to achieve a sense of balance between these four pillars.  I am still working on that.
I mentioned before about the diversity of the other men here.  We are from incredibly different backgrounds but are bound together by a common goal.  We are not only growing closer as friends, but the sense of brotherhood is quite obvious, even to the casual visitor.  Each class had election of officers this week.  I am the president of the class of 2015.  I’m not really sure how that happened, except that the nominations and elections were over quite quickly.  Anyway, I am honored that I get to represent our class in weekly meetings with the Rector and faculty for the next year. 
Andrew, one of my best friends from St. Jude’s in Allen, came to visit on Friday.  I gave him a tour and we spent the evening together over a great dinner at a local seafood restaurant.  It was really good to see someone from home.  Even though I grew up here in New England, I do miss Texas, especially my friends and family there.  I have been communicating with some family on Skype, and it is great fun visiting with grandkids via video calls.  The other night I tucked Paige into bed electronically.  I’m not sure which of us enjoyed that more.
Today’s Gospel reading was from Matthew, Chapter 20.  It was the parable about the workers in the vineyard.  This reading has special meaning to the men studying here, as most of us were called to this vocation later in life than is typical.  In the parable, the workers who arrived late in the day to begin their work received the same wage as those who arrived early.  What an incredible comfort to know that the Lord values each of us the same, no matter when we get started. 

I took this picture of our chapel the other night during adoration.  I thought you would enjoy seeing where we worship.  I will follow up with more pictures in future installments, but for now I will close.
I know that I am in your prayers.  Please know that you are in mine as well.
In Christ,
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment