Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Night in the Forest


I have not posted anything for quite a while, but I wanted to share this precious gift I was given on Sunday night while on a silent retreat.  After checking in, eating dinner, and praying evening prayer with my fellow seminarians, I went out alone for a walk.

A Night in the Forest

It is dark.  I walk through the forest just able to make out the path by the margins set by the yellow leaves that have fallen and blown to the side.  Walking on, I come to a grotto.  I stop to look at the Blessed Virgin, my eyes just now beginning to adjust to the darkness.  The candles placed at the Virgin’s feet have long since burned out, yet there she stands, keeping her vigil…for me?

I continue down the dark path, now becoming a little clearer.  Through the dark canopy of the trees I see a clearing with a barely discernible outline of a cross.  As I walk toward the cross, I realize that this clearing is a cemetery.  Sleeping here in the darkness, so many holy men who have walked through this forest before me.  Did they find what they were looking for…what I am looking for?  I am not even sure why I am here on this dark night.  I walk on.

From the clearing, the forest closes in on me again.  Through the black canopy I make out the almost black sky, lit only by the lights of a distant city bouncing off the clouds.  Walking deeper into the forest, I keep looking up.  A drop of rain hits my face, then another.  Should I turn back? I keep walking.  Soon, another clearing.  This time there is a life-sized Crucifix.  A streetlight shines through the trees with just enough light so that Jesus’ face is clear. I kneel before my Shepherd. I sing Psalm 23 - there is nothing I want.  Jesus keeps giving.  It is raining harder now, the rain is for me. 

I continue my walk. The rain is cold, but feels good on my face, cleansing me, refreshing me. Despite the cool wet night, I am warm on the inside. The sound of the rain on the trees keeps me moving forward to yet another clearing.  A Labyrinth!  I walk past but I am drawn back.  It is really raining now. Maybe I should come back tomorrow and walk the labyrinth in the sunshine. “Did I bring you here tonight so you could turn around?” I find the entrance and follow the stone path back and forth, around and around, but ever closer to the center. Cold and rainy and dark, but I dare not step off the path. I dare not look for the short-cut. The path is clear.  I cannot see all the turns because of the darkness, but I know that it leads to the center.  I walk slowly, carefully, prayerfully to the center.  I stop.  I look up. From the center I can see the whole labyrinth. Even in the dark, even in the rain, the path I had taken was clear.

                        The Lord IS my Shepherd
                        He leads me along the right path
                        He restores my soul
                        His mercy and Kindness will follow me
                        All my life!

 

NOTE: I returned to the same place in the daylight to take a few pictures, and to assure myself that all this really happened.  Here are a few photos:

The Grotto

The Cemetery

The Crucifix

The Labyrinth
 
Peace and Blessings to All

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment