Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Going for a Walk

May 1, 2013

In 9 days I will be leaving for Spain to embark on a pilgrimage, the Camino de Santiago de Compostela.  This is an ancient route traveled by thousands of pilgrims on foot since medieval times.  The route begins in the Pyrenees and heads west for 800 kilometers (500 miles) across Northern Spain, ending at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, where the relics of the Apostle James are purported to be.  I hope to complete the journey in about five weeks. There are places to stay along the way and the route is well traveled by other pilgrims, so while I am making the trip alone, there will be others around.  More information about the Camino can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago.

Why would I want to walk this far?  Well, I am not entirely sure.  It seems like my life has been a whirlwind for the past several years, especially since I began my journey to the Priesthood.  While I am more confident of my vocation with each passing day, I still have a few questions for God.  When I look back on my life, I can see that while I made my share of mistakes, and have had my share of heartbreak, I have been incredibly blessed.  I have had a wonderful career doing what I love and I have a family that brings me incredible joy.  And now, this call to become a Priest.  While some see this as obedience, or my gift back to God or His people, I see the call as another wonderful blessing.  That God would choose me to minister to His flock… I guess that what I hope to find on this pilgrimage is an answer to the question, Why me? 

I think better when I walk.  I love being outdoors.  When I walk, I talk, usually in my head, but occasionally out loud. (Not when other people are around.) Sometimes I talk to myself, sometimes to God.  And I listen.  It is hard for me to sit still and listen for God’s voice, but when I am walking I can lose myself in my thoughts, and hopefully His.  Walking does not take much skill, and for me, it is like a mantra.  The rhythm of the footsteps and the breathing become a prayer.  And, along the way you get to experience the beauty of God’s creation and be a part of it. 

It is hard to believe that my seminary formation is half over.  Next spring, God willing, I will be ordained a Deacon, and a year after that, a Priest.  The pace of formation has been hectic.  While there is certainly a spiritual side to priestly formation, it is sometimes shoehorned in around academic and pastoral activities.  I know that I have to make time each day to set aside studies and pray, and I am usually successful at that.  But the notion of spending several weeks outside with this as my only agenda is exciting.  The heaviest item in my backpack is an empty journal which I hope to fill along the way. 

My family and close friends have asked that I let them know of my progress, so I will post updates on Facebook as I get internet access so they will know I am alive and well.  I hope to see many of you later this summer as I will be returning to Texas at the end of June to complete my summer assignment At Our Lady of the Lake in Rockwall.  Please know that I will be praying for you as I walk.  I ask that you would pray for me during this time as well, as I know that you do anyway. 
    
                                Happy are those who find refuge in you,
                                whose hearts are set on pilgrim roads.
                                                                                    Psalm 84:6
 
Peace and Blessings in Christ,
 
Russ

3 comments:

  1. hope you won't need a new Pair-a-Knees by the time you complete the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for this adventure and you are so wise to slow down and take the time to just 'be' with God while enjoying the beauty of this world He created. I look forward to seeing your updates and I will continue to pray for you - for your vocation and for a safe, carefree and wonderful adventure. God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last evening the community shared Tony Klink's recollections of his trek on this trail. Be aware that the first 5-7 days seem to be the worst. You will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete